Last updated: July 16, 2018
Information you give to us
In order to process your requests and orders, it may be necessary to collect personal data from you. This includes, but is not limited to: your name, address, e-mail address, date of birth, telephone number, credit/debit card information. We are unable to provide you with certain products and services if you do not provide certain information to us. You may also be asked to provide additional (non-mandatory) pieces of information such as your interests, preferences, age, gender, feedback, and survey responses so that we can better understand our customers. You can also choose to provide such information by posting on a forum, filling out a web form or when you communicate with us. We also obtain information about you where we have the appropriate permissions to do so or as otherwise authorized by applicable law.
We may collect information about your interaction with our sites and services from the devices you use, such as your unique device ID, device type and advertising ID. We may also collect information about your visits and activity on our Platform (and sites operated by our group companies) including the content and any advertisements that you view and interact with, the address of the site from which you arrived and other technical data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns (such as the pages you view, the links you click, the items you add to your shopping basket, the length of your internet session, your IP address and approximate location at the time of browsing). This information is collected using cookies or similar technologies.
Information collected from other sources
We may combine your information with information we collect from third parties or public sources, including analytics providers, advertising networks, and publicly available sources.
Certain sites in our Platform may offer services that require you to set up an account prior to receiving such services. To create a secure account, you can use your email address and a password or, if the site offers a Facebook single-sign-on service, you will be able to register for and log-in to your account using your Facebook account. If you choose to use the Facebook single-sign-on service, you are granting permission to Facebook to share certain profile information with us. This will include your name, profile picture and list of friends and any other information notified to you by Facebook prior to you completing the single-sign-on authorization process. You control what social media information you allow us to have access to using the privacy settings on the applicable social media platform and any permissions you give as part of the single-sign-on authorization process.
Our Platform is not intended for children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not provide any information to us and instead ask your parent or guardian to do this on your behalf. You must be at least 18 years of age to purchase products or services from us. If you are under the age of 18, you must ensure that your parent or guardian purchases the products or services on your behalf.
We will or may use your information for the following purposes:
- Service Access and Registration: to register you as a new customer when you purchase a product or service from us or create an account on one of our sites in order to access one of our services.
- Sales and Fulfilment: to process and deliver your order; to manage payments, fees and charges; to collect and recover money owed to us; to provide you with services you have requested from us when we collected the information from you.
- Sweepstakes, Contests, Events, Product Trials, Surveys, Awards: to enable you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, product trials, events, awards, surveys, polls and quizzes and to provide you with any prizes, products or awards as applicable.
- Business Administration, Systems and Security: to administer and protect our business and our sites such as troubleshooting, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting data; to ensure network and system security and prevent detect, mitigate and investigate fraud, security breaches and other prohibited or illegal activities; to verify your identity.
- Data Analytics: to measure the performance of our marketing campaigns (for example, analyzing open and click rates); to provide insight and analysis of our customers for ourselves and our business partners.
- Marketing: to provide you with marketing via email, post, telephone, SMS/text, social media and other digital channels (including Facebook Custom Audiences and Google Custom Match); to make suggestions and recommendations to you about goods and services that could be of interest to you.
- Advertising: to select and deliver advertising and content to you and measure the delivery and effectiveness of such advertising and content.
- Personalization: to personalize content, services and communications and target advertising, as further explained in Personalization and Advertising below.
- Aggregation and Anonymization: to aggregate and anonymize your data, so that we can use it to enable us to sell advertising and monitor the efficacy of our business partnerships.
We want the ads and content displayed on our Platform to be relevant to you. Personalizing and targeting advertising, content, services and communications allows us to provide you with much of our sought-after online content for free.
We will use your information to provide you with personalized content, services and communications as well as targeted advertising on our Platform, sites operated by our group companies and selected partner sites. We do this by matching, combining or linking the different sources of information we hold about you (e.g. linking your contact or subscriber information with your activity across our Platform or by linking your activity on our Platform across all your devices using your email or social media log-in details) or by creating segments based on various factors such as your age and gender, your device details or your inferred interests. We work with data management platform providers to assist with this process.
We also use your information for retargeting (for example, you could see an advertisement on a partner site such as Facebook for a product that you have recently viewed on our sites).
Where we have the appropriate permissions or as otherwise authorized by applicable law, we will use your information to market and advertise our products and services and occasionally third-party products and services that could be of interest to you including third party offers, advertisements, competitions or commercial communications by telephone (mobile and landline when available), post, electronic messaging (including SMS and MMS), email, online or via applications. You could be contacted directly by our third-party service providers for these purposes.
You can always tell us that you wish to stop receiving direct marketing communications from us. But remember, if you do not want us to get in touch, you will miss out on offers.
If you would prefer not to receive direct marketing communications, simply let us know at any time by writing to email@example.com, or by following the opt-out instructions in the relevant communication. Please note that this will not stop you from receiving service messages from us.
We rely on one or more of the following legal bases when processing your data:
We may merge with or be acquired by another business. If this happens we share the information that relates to you with that other business. You will be sent notice of such an event.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal data in order to comply with the law, applicable regulations and government requests. We also reserve the right to use such information in order to protect our operating systems and integrity as well as other users.
Once we have received your data we will take steps to ensure that it is treated in accordance with any applicable laws. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk.
We are required by law to keep certain information about our customers (such as financial and transaction related data) for seven years after they cease being customers for tax purposes. We may adjust this retention period to comply with changes in the law.
Our data retention periods vary depending on the context of the services that we provide to you and our legal obligations. To determine the appropriate period for which we keep your data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of your data, the potential risk or harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process that data (and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means), and applicable legal requirements.
Our Platform is hosted in the USA and we conduct all of our business from our office located in the USA. Accordingly, the information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the European Union. By submitting your personal data, you’re agreeing to the transfer, storing and processing of your data outside of the European Union. Your data may be transferred to countries that do not have the same data protection laws as the country from which you initially provided the information.
You have certain rights in relation to the personal data we hold about you, which we detail below. Certain rights only apply in specific circumstances as set out in more detail below. We have also described how you may exercise those rights. When you exercise your rights, we need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We will also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
- Request access to your personal data. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no legitimate reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we could have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we are not always able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) but you object to the processing on the ground that it impacts your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes (more information on your marketing choices can be found in the Marketing section above). In certain cases, we will demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent.